PATZAROSALATA – GREEK BEETROOT DIP
How to make the popular Patzarosalata Greek Beetroot Dip?
500g baby beetroot with leaves (do not dispose the leaves)
¼ cup walnuts, chopped
30mls olive oil
Optional: Feta to serve with the steamed beetroot leaves
Remove the leaves from the beetroot and wash both the leaves and beetroot very well. Set the leaves aside to steam later on, if using.
- Steam the beetroot until tender approximately 35-40 minutes. Remove from heat, peel and dice into small pieces.
- Combine the olive oil and vinegar.
- Pour the dressing over the hot beetroot, add the yoghurt and stir carefully to combine.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and the walnuts.
- Set aside in the fridge to let the flavours infuse.
- Steam the leaves for 15 minutes or until tender, drain and dress with olive oil and vinegar and served with feta, if desired.
Optional, you could chop up the leaves and stems and add them to the dip. You could add goats or ricotta cheese instead of the feta.You could use a flavoured vinegar, we like the Food Philosopher’s pomegranate one.
Please see our other savoury recipes.
Learn all about the health benefits of beetroot.